What Is Ice Wine?
Ice wine is a type of dessert wine made from grapes that have been left to freeze on the vine. The grapes are harvested and pressed while still frozen, which results in a very concentrated, sweet wine with high levels of sugar and acidity.
The process of making ice wine is quite labor-intensive, as the grapes must be picked at just the right moment, typically in the middle of the night when temperatures are below freezing. The grapes are then pressed immediately while still frozen, which extracts only the concentrated sugars and flavors from the grapes, leaving the water content behind as ice.
Ice wine is typically made from white grape varieties such as Riesling or Vidal, although some red grape varieties may also be used. It is produced in several countries, including Germany, Canada, Austria, and the United States, among others.
Due to its labor-intensive production and limited availability, ice wine can be quite expensive and is often considered a luxury item. It is typically served chilled and pairs well with rich desserts or strong cheeses.
How To Drink Ice Wine?
Ice wine is a sweet dessert wine made from grapes that have been left to freeze on the vine. It’s best served chilled and can be enjoyed on its own or paired with dessert. Here are some tips on how to drink ice wine:
- Chill the wine: Ice wine should be served chilled, but not too cold. Ideally, it should be chilled to between 8-10°C (46-50°F). You can chill it in the fridge for a few hours before serving, or in an ice bucket for around 30 minutes.
- Use the right glass: Use a small, tulip-shaped glass to serve ice wine. The shape of the glass will help to concentrate the aroma and flavor of the wine.
- Pour a small amount: Ice wine is rich and sweet, so a small pour is all that’s needed. Aim to fill the glass no more than a third of the way.
- Sip slowly: Take small sips of ice wine and savor the flavors. The wine is meant to be sipped slowly, so take your time and enjoy it.
- Pair it with dessert: Ice wine pairs well with desserts that are not too sweet, such as fruit tarts, cheesecake, or blue cheese. The sweetness of the wine complements the flavors of the dessert, creating a delicious combination.
Remember, ice wine is a special and expensive wine, so enjoy it in moderation and with good company!
How To Store?
Ice wine should be stored properly to maintain its quality and flavor over time. Here are some tips on how to store ice wine:
- Keep it in a cool, dark place: Store ice wine in a cool and dark place, away from direct sunlight, heat, and humidity. This will help prevent the wine from spoiling and maintain its taste and aroma.
- Keep it upright: Store ice wine bottles upright to prevent the cork from drying out and to maintain the seal. If the cork dries out, air can enter the bottle and spoil the wine.
- Maintain a consistent temperature: Keep the temperature of the storage area consistent. Fluctuating temperatures can cause the wine to expand and contract, which can damage the bottle and affect the flavor of the wine.
- Avoid vibrations: Store ice wine away from sources of vibration, such as refrigerators or other appliances, as this can affect the sediment in the wine.
- Serve at the right temperature: When you’re ready to enjoy your ice wine, serve it chilled, but not too cold. The ideal serving temperature for ice wine is between 8-10°C (46-50°F).
By following these tips, you can ensure that your ice wine stays in good condition and tastes great when you’re ready to enjoy it.
How Long Is Good For?
It can last for several years if stored properly. Typically, the shelf life of ice wine is around 5 to 7 years, but some high-quality ice wines can last for more than a decade.
To ensure that your ice wine stays good for as long as possible, it is essential to store it correctly. Ice wine should be stored in a cool, dark place away from direct sunlight, and with a stable temperature between 45-55°F (7-13°C). The bottle should be stored on its side to keep the cork moist, which helps prevent air from getting into the bottle.
It is also important to note that once opened, ice wine should be consumed within a few days. So, if you plan to store an opened bottle of ice wine, make sure to seal it tightly with a wine stopper or a cork and store it in the refrigerator.
The price can vary depending on various factors such as the region it comes from, the quality of the grapes used, and the producer. In general, ice wine tends to be more expensive than other types of wine due to the labor-intensive process involved in making it.
In North America, it can range from $30 to over $100 per bottle, with some premium ice wines priced even higher. In Europe, ice wine from Germany or Austria can be found starting from around €20 to €50, while Canadian ice wines can range from CAD $50 to over CAD $200 per bottle.
It’s important to note that ice wine is typically sold in smaller bottle sizes than other wines, usually in 375ml or 500ml bottles. This is because the yield from frozen grapes is much lower than from non-frozen grapes. Additionally, some are produced in limited quantities, adding to their exclusivity and price.
The Best Brand
Ice wine, also known as Eiswein, is a sweet dessert wine that is made from grapes that have been left to freeze on the vine. The freezing process concentrates the sugar and flavors in the grapes, resulting in a sweet and flavorful wine.
There are many great ice wines available from various wine regions around the world. These are a few examples of the many different German brands that are available. As with Canadian ice wine, each brand has its unique flavor profile and style, so it’s worth trying a few different brands to find the one that you like best.
Canada Ice Wines Brand
The best brands list of iced wine produced in Canada, some of the most well-known and respected brands include:
- Inniskillin: It is one of the oldest and most well-established producers of ice wine in Canada. They are based in the Niagara Peninsula region of Ontario and produce a range of different ice wines, including Vidal Blanc, Riesling, and Cabernet Franc.
- Peller Estates: Peller Estates is another well-known producer of ice wine in the Niagara Peninsula region. They produce a range of different ice wines, including white and red ice wine, and have won numerous awards for their products.
- Jackson-Triggs: Jackson-Triggs is a well-known Canadian winery that produces a range of different wines, including ice wine. They are based in the Niagara Peninsula region and have won numerous awards for their ice wine.
- Mission Hill: Mission Hill is a Canadian winery based in the Okanagan Valley region of British Columbia. They produce a range of different ice wines, including Riesling, Cabernet Franc, and Pinot Noir.
- Cave Spring Cellars: This is a family-owned winery based in the Niagara Peninsula region of Ontario. They produce a range of different ice wines, including Riesling, Vidal Blanc, and Cabernet Franc.
Each brand has its own unique flavor profile and style, so it’s worth trying a few different brands to find the one that you like best.
List Of Store To Buy Wine In Canada
List of stores in Canada where you can buy ice wine. These are some popular options:
- LCBO (Liquor Control Board of Ontario) – Ontario’s government-run liquor store, which offers a wide selection of Canadian ice wines.
- SAQ (Société des alcools du Québec) – Quebec’s government-run liquor store, which offers a variety of ice wines from Quebec and other Canadian provinces.
- BC Liquor Stores – British Columbia’s government-run liquor store, which has a good selection of Canadian ice wines.
- Wine Rack – A specialty wine store that has locations in Ontario and offers a selection of Canadian ice wines.
- The Wine Shop – Another specialty wine store that has locations in Ontario and offers a variety of Canadian ice wines.
- Vineland Estates Winery – A winery located in Ontario’s Niagara region that produces a range of high-quality ice wines.
- Peller Estates Winery – Another winery located in Ontario’s Niagara region that produces a variety of ice wines.
- Inniskillin Wines – A winery located in Ontario’s Niagara-on-the-Lake region that is well known for its ice wines.
Germany Ice Wine Brands
Germany is another country that is well-known for its ice wine production. Some of the most well-known German ice wine brands include:
- Schloss Johannisberg: Schloss Johannisberg is one of the oldest and most famous ice wine producers in Germany. They are based in the Rheingau region and produce a range of different ice wines, including Riesling, Silvaner, and Gewürztraminer.
- Dr. Loosen: Dr. Loosen is a German winery that is based in the Mosel region. They are known for their high-quality Riesling wines, including their ice wines.
- Selbach-Oster: Selbach-Oster is another Mosel-based winery that is known for its high-quality Riesling ice wines.
- Markus Molitor: Markus Molitor is a German winemaker who produces a range of different wines, including ice wine. He is known for his innovative approach to winemaking and his use of traditional techniques.
- Kruger-Rumpf: Kruger-Rumpf is a German winery that is based in the Nahe region. They produce a range of different wines, including ice wine made from Riesling grapes.
List Store To Buy iced Wine In Germany
There are several stores in Germany where you can buy ice wine. Here are some popular options:
- Weinhaus Henninger – A wine shop in Frankfurt that has a good selection of German ice wines.
- Weinhaus Stetter – A wine shop in Munich that offers a variety of ice wines from Germany and other countries.
- Weinhaus Joachim Heger – A wine shop in the Black Forest region of Germany that specializes in ice wines and other dessert wines.
- Vinopolis – A wine store in Berlin that offers a wide selection of German ice wines.
- Wein & Glas – A wine shop in Hamburg that has a good selection of ice wines from Germany and other countries.
- Wein & Co. – A wine store with locations in several German cities, including Berlin, Hamburg, and Frankfurt, that offers a range of ice wines.
- Bremer Ratskeller – A historic wine cellar in Bremen that has a good selection of German ice wines.
- Vinothek Korkenzieher – A wine shop in Dresden that offers a variety of ice wines from Germany and other countries.
Many other stores across Germany sell ice wine. You can also find ice wine in some supermarkets and specialty food stores, especially during the winter months.
Wine Online Stores
Here are some online stores where you can buy ice wine:
- Wine.com: This online store offers a wide selection of ice wine from various regions, including Canada, Germany, and Austria.
- Liquorama: This store has a great selection of ice wines from around the world, including California, Canada, and Germany.
- WineChateau: This online store has a large selection of ice wine from different regions, including New York, Canada, and Germany.
- Total Wine & More: This store has a great selection of ice wine from around the world, including Canada, Germany, and Austria.
- Drizly: This online platform offers a variety of ice wine options from various regions around the world.
- Wine.com.hk: This online store based in Hong Kong offers a great selection of ice wine from Canada, Austria, and Germany.
- Wine-Searcher: This platform allows you to search for ice wine from different stores and regions, including Canada, Germany, and Austria.
It is important to note that some states and countries have restrictions on shipping alcohol, so be sure to check with each store regarding their shipping policies.